18 January 2012

Hexed - Kevin Hearne



The Blurb: Atticus O'Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn't care much for witches. Still, he's able to "make nice" with the local coven  by signing a mutually beneficial non-aggression treaty-when suddenly the witch population in modern day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. The new girls are not just bad,  they're badasses with a dark history on the German Side of WWII.

With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants, blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence,  and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch-hunt. But aidded by his magical sword, his neighbor's rocket propelled grenade launcher, and his vapire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked the wrong druid to Hex.

So Atticus and his crew is back for some more adventuring and fun. I must admit that I liked Hounded so much that I went out as soon as I finished it to buy Hexed. 

This tale starts off a few weeks after the events in Hounded. I'll try not to spoil the first book by giving something away in this review. Promise.

An old enemy of Atticus has resurfaced. Or if at least not an actual enemy, a group who tried to kill him during WWII. That seems like enough reason to whup their asses.

We meet a few more gods, Atticus quotes Shakespeare and Lolcatz in the same sentence and I still love the dog Oberon. Even if he's a lot less in the forefront of this book. The rest of the Coven steps into the story a bit, each bringing a bit to the tale. The Morrigan does show why she deserves to be feared. I'll run like all hell if she was close to me. It wouldn't help, but a man must try something yes? Oh, and we meet the Virgin Mary, which was nice. And I must say, the final fight scene was done brilliantly.

This whole book was written in five months, and it shows a bit. The jokes and action isn't as smoothly done as in Hounded. A lot of the decision making seems to be thought out a bit clumsily. It moves the story forward as it should, but it doesn't fit well with the characters. 

The story is more than fun to read, but it could have been more elegant. If I haven't read Hounded, it would have received an eight from me. But since I know Mr. Hearne can do a better job, it's a 6 from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment